Name: Tofu Steak Veracruzana
- One, 14-oz package extra-firm tofu
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion (10 ounces), thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, drained, rinsed, and chopped
- 3 large plum tomatoes (12 ounces to 1 pound total), seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
Yield: 4 servings
- Wrap tofu in paper towels or a clean dish towel and microwave on high
for 1 minute. Unwrap, rewrap with fresh towels, and repeat. This gets rid of
- Unwrap tofu, let cool, and cut into four planks.
- Combine the tofu, half the garlic, the broth, lime juice, oregano, salt,
and pepper in a large bowl.
- Cover and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Heat the oil until shimmering in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the drained tofu and sear it without disturbing until browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Turn each piece over and sear the other side until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the tofu to a plate.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño to the skillet.
- Cook, stirring, until they start to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the olives, capers, and remaining garlic, and cook, stirring, until all
the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and wine.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and return the tofu to the skillet.
- Cook until the sauce is reduced slightly and the tofu is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the butter.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve hot with the tofu planks whole or sliced, and with the sauce and vegetables
spooned over them.
Comments: Suggested serving with rice and/or a green salad. Photo shows slices of lime.
7/25/2020 - I made substitutions: water plus minced onion for the vegetable broth,
rice wine for the white wine, 8 ounces of salsa plus 1/2 tomato for the large
plum tomatoes and the chile pepper, margarine for the vegan butter.
I only used 1/2 a red onion, 1/2 a bell pepper, and 1/4 cup wine.
I failed to follow the
recipe sequence and sliced the tofu before microwaving it.
Slicing tofu into four "planks" was hard, and some pieces were too thin; they
broke apart on cooking. The four planks also did not fit side-by-side in the
shallow bowl I used to marinate them or in the frying pan where I cooked them.
They tasted okay, and I served them with rice, green beans from a can, and a
Source: Washington Post, 15 July 2020, derived from ¡Salud! Vega Mexican
Cookbook, by Eddie Garza
Return to the main page