Name: The Best Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated turmeric (or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme, stems removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup pearl or Israeli couscous
- 2/3 cup frozen peas (optional, but recommended)
Yield: 6 serving
- Place a large dutch oven or pot over medium high heat and add in oil.
- Once oil is hot, add in garlic, onion, carrots and celery; cook for a few minutes until onion becomes translucent.
- Add in grated ginger and grated turmeric.
- Saute for 30 seconds to let the spices cook a bit.
- Then add in chicken broth, chicken breast, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil, then stir in couscous. You’ll want the chicken to be covered by the broth so make sure you stir them down to the bottom.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a cutting board to shred with two forks.
- Add chicken back to pot and stir in frozen peas.
If you find that you don't have enough broth, feel free to add in another cup.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
Comments: To make vegetarian or vegan: Use vegetarian broth and sub 1 can of drained chickpeas for chicken.
1/14/2023 - I used powdered ginger and turmeric, 4 cups of vegetable broth and
2 cups of chicken bouillon, and 1.56 pounds of chicken thighs. I set the burner at
7 for medium-high heat. With the prep work, it took over an hour, but not
quite 1 1/2 hour. Shredding with two forks left long strings of chicken. We enjoyed it
with Dwaynes cornbread and a green salad.
Return to the main page