Name: Spaghetti al Tonno (Spaghetti with Tuna Sauce)
- 3/4 pound (350 g) spaghetti
- 1 or 2 2-ounce (50 g) cans of tuna packed in oil, drained
- 1 to 1.5 cups (250-375 ml) chunky tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- A red pepper, shredded
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salted capers, rinsed and chopped, or salt to taste
- A handful of basil leaves, coarsely minced
- Set pasta water to heat, salt it when it boils, and cook the pasta, draining it when it's al dente.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic and the hot pepper
for a couple of minutes, being careful not to let the garlic burn.
- Crumble the tuna into the pot, and stir in the tomatoes and the capers.
- After a minute, check seasoning
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce until the pasta is done.
- Garnish the pasta with the shredded basil and serve at once.
Comments: This could work nicely as a one-course meal with a tossed salad.
You could use black olives rather than red pepper.
Source: http://italianfood.about.com/od/fishsauces/r/blr1502.html - LINK FAILS
Return to the main page