Name: Salmon and Rice Burritos
- 4 tortillas
- 1/2 lb cooked salmon
- 1 hard boiled egg
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Rice Pilaf:
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice
- 3/4 cups hot chicken broth
- Yogurt Herb Dressing:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 very small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh herbs minced - parsley, dill, etc.
Yield: 4 burritos
- If you have leftover cooked salmon, it works great in this recipe. Keep it cold. Seafood does not reheat well. Otherwise, poach the salmon. Flake the salmon with a fork into large chunks.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter or oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook it for 2-4 minutes, until every grain is coated in the butter and the rice starts to smell toasted.
- Pour in the broth. Since it's hot, it will boil immediately.
- Cover the saucepan right away and reduce the heat to the lowest setting.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it stand for another 5 minutes.
- Peel and chop the hard boiled egg.
- Combine all the ingredients for the Yogurt Herb dressing in a bowl.
- Warm the flour tortillas in a microwave, in the oven or on the stovetop.
- When the rice is cooked, stir the salmon into the mixture.
- At the table:
- Spoon the rice and salmon mixture onto a tortilla.
- Place the hard boiled egg and green onions on top of the rice and salmon.
- Spoon some of the dressing over all.
- You can eat them cold, or warm them up in the microwave or oven. You can also brown the burritos on all sides in a skillet with some oil.
Comments: 1/29/2019 - I simplified the recipe and then adapted it from
there. In the dressing, I substituted 1 teaspoon of lime juice for the lemon juice,
used 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder for the small clove, substituted
a teaspoon of yellow mustard for the Dijon, and used a teaspoon of Ms. Dash
Original Seasoning in place of the tablespoons of fresh herbs. I had 8-inch tortillas
which might have been a little small, but satisfied us.
5/22/2023 - I included two hard-boiled eggs, used olive oil in the rice, juiced 1/2 a lemon
for the dressing, and had fresh parsley and 1/2 teaspoon of dill weed for the dressing.
I did not have any green onions. The rice was still very crunchy. I think it could have used more broth.
Source: Adapted and simplified from
Return to the main page