Name: Portuguese-Style Mint Rice
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon butter or lard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
Yield: 4 servings
- Bring the broth or water, butter, and salt to a boil in a large saucepan
over high heat
- Add the rice and cook uncovered at a full boil, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes.
- Stir in the mint and boil until the rice is tender, about 1 minute more.
- Remove from the heat, cover, and steam for 3 minutes - the texture will be looser and
and more similar to risotto rice than steamed rice.
- Remove the mint leaves if desired.
- Taste and season with more salt as needed.
Comments: 9/8/2020 - I used plain water rather than broth.
After the boiling, there was still a lot of liquid in the pot. I poured
off about 2 cups worth before letting it steam.
9/9/2020 - I made a 2/3 recipe this time, but with 2 tablespoons of
butter. I also left the extra water in the pot until after the steaming.
It tasted fine.
Source: Teresa Rollin (See also
Return to the main page