Name: Ecuadorian-style Potato Soup
- For the soup
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or other neutral oil
- 1 large yellow onion (12 ounces), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon achiote (annatto; may substitute 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika plus 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric)
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup (3 ounces) coarsely grated Monterey Jack cheese
- For serving
- 2 small ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallion greens
- 1/3 cup (1 ounce) coarsely grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Hot sauce (optional)
Yield: 6 servings (9 cups)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened but not brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin and achiote and cook, stirring, until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes and stir to coat.
- Add the broth or water and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer about 1 cup of the potatoes to a cutting board and cut them into small pieces.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup in the pot until smooth. (Alternatively, let the soup cool, then puree in batches in a regular blender.)
- Return the, soup to medium-low heat and warm through.
- Stir in the milk and cheese until the cheese is melted.
- Return the chopped potato to the pot and stir to combine.
- Taste, and season with, additional salt as desired.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish the avocados, cilantro, scallion, cheese and hot sauce, if using.
Comments: 11/28/2023 - I used six white potatoes, weighing 2 lb 6 oz. I peeled one
and left the skins on the others. I substituted 1/2 teaspoon paprika and 1/2 teaspoon
turmeric for the achiote. I used vegetable stock and shredded Colby & Jack cheese.
I blended the soup with a mixer; some of the potato peels got caught in the blades.
Source: Washington Post, 8 November 2023
Return to the main page