Name: Contest-Winning Black Bean Soup
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, undrained
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
Yield: 8 servings
- In a small bowl, mash one can black beans; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the celery, onion, red pepper and jalapeño in oil until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, cumin, coriander, hot sauce, pepper, bay leaf, mashed black beans and remaining whole beans.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and stir in lime juice.
- Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1-1/2 teaspoons green onion.
Return to the main page