Name: Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, medium dice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 leek (white and pale green parts only) diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- large fresh thyme sprig
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 8 cups chicken broth made from bouillon
- 1 cup dried wide egg noodles
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Yield: 8 servings
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the leek, carrots, celery, basil and thyme to the onions and garlic.
- Sauté until the vegetables soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the noodles and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and simmer very gently until the chicken is just cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Remove the thyme stem.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl to blend.
- While slowly stirring the soup in a circular motion, slowly drizzle the eggs into the soup.
- Cook just until the eggs form streaks throughout the soup.
- Season the soup to taste with pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls.
Comments: 11/18/2012 - Made half a recipe. Used 1 teaspoon of ground thyme
and added 1 teaspoon basil leaves. Used pre-cooked chicken breast and cooked
a minute or two to warm.
3/25/2013 - Used pre-cooked turkey. Let noodles cook an extra 5 minutes before adding
2/10/2014 - Used a teaspoon of powdered thyme instead of a sprig
Return to the main page