Name: Black Beans with Lemon and Cilantro
- 1 pound black beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 3 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 6 strips lemon peel, tied together with a length of kitchen string
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves
Yield: 10 side-dish servings
- Soak the black beans overnight in plenty of water to cover.
- Drain well, rinse in cool water, and drain again.
- In a heavy 8 quart casserole or pot, sauté the onion in the oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and bell pepper; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the cumin, cumin seed and paprika; cook 1 minute.
- Add the hot pepper flakes, broth, about 3 cups water and the soaked and drained black beans.
- Stir, bring to a boil, and boil about 5 minutes.
- Bury the lemon peel bundle in the beans.
- Cover and simmer the beans until they are tender, about 1-1/2 hours, adding additional water (if necessary) to keep the beans moist.
- Simmer the beans uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard the lemon peel.
- Season the beans with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the cilantro and serve.
In this recipe, bright-tasting strips of lemon peel are added to a pot
of simmering black beans spiced with cumin.
The beans are delicious with grilled chicken and roasted or braised lamb (or almost anything else).
Source: Source forgotten
Return to the main page