Name: Caribbean Confetti Rice
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 14 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced bell pepper, red and yellow
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 15 ounces canned pineapple tidbits, drained and juice reserved
- 4.5 ounces Old El Paso Chopped Green Chiles
- 1/4 cup Old El Paso Sliced Jalapeños diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Add the rice, coconut milk, garlic cloves, salt, allspice, cayenne,
and reserved pineapple juice to a medium sauce pot.
- Use the coconut milk can to add 14 ounces of water to the rice.
- Stir well.
- Set over medium heat and cover.
- Bring to a boil, then stir and lower the heat.
- Cover and allow the rice to cook until the liquid is absorbed and air holes
form in the surface of the rice, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, add the butter to a large deep skillet and set over medium heat.
- Add the diced bell peppers and onions.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes, to just barely soften.
- Then remove from heat and add the pineapple tidbits, Old El Paso Green Chiles
and Sliced Jalapeños to the skillet.
- Once the rice is tender and fluffy, dump it into the skillet and toss well to combine.
- Toss in the fresh chopped cilantro.
- Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve warm as a side dish, or serve with shrimp or chicken on top!
Comments: 3/20/2021 - I omitted the cayenne pepper, red onion, pineapple,
and jalapeños. I only used 1 cup of rice, and light coconut milk with enough
water to make 2 cups of liquid. I substituted 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
and 1 teaspoon of salt substitute. I had to grind allspice berries.
I served this as a side dish to
Caribbean-style Seafood Stew.
2/22/2022 - I made a Mexican verson of this to serve with
I omitted the cayenne pepper, coconut milk, pineapples, and jalapeños.
I used 1 1/2 cups of dry rice, 3 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of butter,
1 teaspoon powdered ginger, 1 yellow bell pepper, and 2/3 cup of diced yellow pepper.
I added a cup of green peas.
Return to the main page