Name: Acorn Squash with Fruit
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, thawed and drained well
- 1/3 cup finely diced apple
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter or margarine
Yield: 2 servings
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds
- Place squash, hollow side up, on a 12-inch plate, with stem ends to the outside
- Cover with plastic wrap
- Microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes
- Starting at far edge, carefully fold back plastic wrap
- If squash is not fork-tender, microwave on HIGH for 1 to 2 more minutes
- Let squash stand, covered, while preparing fruit
- In a small, microwavable bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch, and salt
- Blend well
- Stir in the blueberries and apple pieces
- Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH for 4 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes
- Stir in butter
- Fill the squash cavities with the fruit sauce
Comments: 10/11/2014 - I forgot the butter. Gail said it was like
pie but healthier.
3/1/2015 - One medium macintosh apple makes about twice as much apple as
the recipe calls for. I used the whole thing. Maybe I'll try cut
the apple in bigger chunks next time.
1/8/2016 - I used a whole macintosh apple and a half cup of frozen raspberries.
The squash was well done in 12 minutes.
8/23/2016 - I microwaved the squash 10 minutes, and used a peach and
a half cup of frozen raspberries.
12/20/2018 - I used 1/2 a macintosh apple and frozen raspberries. It was
served with Garlic Lime Chicken and leftover rice.
Source: Sunset Microwave Cook Book, Lane Publishing Co., 1981, page 59
Return to the main page