Name: Vegetarian Onion Gravy
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce (optional)
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Yield: 4-5 servings
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and a pinch of salt.
- Sweat the onions, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8-10 minutes. If they start to turn brown, turn down the heat – you’re looking for translucent and tender, not golden.
- Increase heat to medium.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring frequently, for three minutes.
- Gradually stir in the vegetable broth and continue stirring, over medium heat, until thickened to a gravy consistency, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Stir in Tamari or soy sauce if using.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Return to the main page