Name: Vegetarian Chili
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 thinly sliced carrots
- 1 coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 3 small diced zucchini
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 15½-oz cans red kidney beans
- 1 15½-oz can corn, with liquid
- ½ 6-oz can tomato paste
- 1 4-oz can chopped green chiles, with liquid
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (or more if you like it hotter)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large, heavy pot, heat canola oil over medium for 30 seconds.
- Add onion, carrots and green bell pepper.
- Sauté for 8 minutes.
- Add zucchini and sauté for another 7 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 45 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Serve with your choice of garnishes (grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack, crumbled
goat cheese, chopped cilantro, chopped black olives, sliced avocado, etc.).
Source: Parade magazine, Feb 2, 2013
Return to the main page