Name: Tomato Florentine Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced medium
- 1 48-ounce can California crushed tomatoes in juice
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 6 ounces Heinz ketchup
- 1 pint low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bag (8 to 10 ounces) chopped frozen spinach
- pinch of dried basil
- pinch of sugar
Yield: 6 servings
- In a medium stockpot, sauté the onion in olive oil until translucent
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, ketchup and chicken broth
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Add frozen spinach, sugar, basil and spices.
- Cook until heated through.
Comments: 5/15/2013 - made roughly a half recipe. Substituted two 14.5-oz
cans of diced tomatoes for crushed. Used 1/3 cup ketchup, 2 teaspoons of
basil, 1 teaspoon of minced garlic and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
The soup was thick and good.
Source: Baltimore Sun, February 16, 2012
Return to the main page