Name: Tofu Noodle Soup
- 1 - 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 350g block extra-firm tofu, pressed and cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot (approximately 1 carrot)
- 1/2 cup sliced celery (approximately 1 rib)
- 1 cup kale, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms (approximately 5 mushrooms)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups uncooked pasta (fusili, farfalle, etc.)
Yield: 6 servings
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, pour soy sauce over cubed tofu.
- Mix gently until the tofu absorbs the soy sauce.
- Heat 1/2 of the olive oil in saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add tofu and sauté until evenly browned on all (or most) sides.
- Move the tofu to one side of the pan.
- Add remaining olive oil and add minced garlic.
- Cook for 1 minute, do not brown.
- Add carrot, celery, kale, mushrooms, and ground ginger.
- Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add frozen peas and simmer for another 3-5 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Keep pasta and soup separate until ready to serve.
- Divide cooked pasta into bowls and top with hot soup.
Comments: Store leftover pasta and soup separately. Combine just before serving.
You could swap chickpeas for the tofu.
4/22/2020 - I used about 600 g of tofu, substituted spinach and some radish greens for the
kale, and used Sitr Fry Noodles for pasta. Gail sprinkled a little cayenne pepper on
hers and I added hot sauce. The noodles were used up in four servings on day one.
3/25/2023 - I used a standard box of tofu - 397 gr -, 2 carrots, frozen kale,
1 teaspoon of ginger, 1 1/2 cups of peas, and farfalle pasta. I served it with
store-bought bread, and a green salad. I started preparing dinner at 4:30 and
served it at 6:10.
Return to the main page