Name: Spicy Tofu Stir Fry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut in long narrow strips
- optional: sliced mushrooms
- optional: snow pea pods
- 2/3 cup chicken stock (use bouillon)
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- seasoning (Dynasty Powdered Five Spices - cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and anise- was good)
- 3-oz box of Extra Firm Tofu (with liquid pressed out, and cubed)
Yield: about 6 servings
- Combine chicken stock, soy sauce, sherry, and corn starch ahead of time
- Heat oil over a medium-high heat.
- Add ginger and garlic, and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add onion and green pepper, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add stock, soy sauce, sherry, corn starch, and seasoning, and boil 1 minute.
- Stir in carrot, tofu, snow peas, and mushrooms (if you have them)
- Heat 3 minutes, and serve.
Comments: Once I used chili powder and pepper to try to simulate Chinese
chili paste. It turned out tasting very much like Mexican chili.
6/1/2003 - I substituted chicken for the tofu.
9/5/2003 - Stir fried ginger & garlic briefly; cooked onion & green pepper 1-2 minutes.
- Added chicken 1 minute after the onion and green pepper
- Stir fried until no longer pink (abt 2 minutes)
- Added remaining ingredients
5/14/2012 - Seasoned with 2 cloves of garlic and about an equal amount of fresh ginger
9/16/2015 - In addition to the listed spices, I used more than one teaspoon of
5 Spices seasoning. Gail said the ginger flavor was too strong.
2/25/2015 - I used oyster mushroom and sugar snap peas, but forget to include
9/19/2020 - I used two cans of sliced water chestnuts and some frozen multi-colored
bell pepper pieces as well as the usual. For spices, I added 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon,
nutmeg, and more than 1/4 teaspoons of black pepper. I only had 1/2 cup of
sauce and the result was a little dry.
10/19/2020 - I used a can of sliced water chestnuts, a can of baby corn,
and some frozen multi-colored
bell pepper pieces. I omitted the carrot. For spices, I added 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg to the usual, but omitted the black pepper. I made
3/4 cup of sauce. The next day I added 1/4 cup of broth with 3/4 teaspoon of
salt-substitute to the leftovers.
Return to the main page