Name: Spicy Tofu Stir Fry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon powdered garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut in long narrow strips
- optional: sliced mushrooms
- optional: snow pea pods
- 2/3 cup chicken stock (use bouillon)
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- seasoning (Dynasty Powdered Five Spices - cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and anise- was good)
- 3-oz box of Extra Firm Tofu (with liquid pressed out, and cubed)
Yield: about 6 servings
- Combine chicken stock, soy sauce, sherry, and corn starch ahead of time
- Heat oil over a medium-high heat.
- Add ginger and garlic, and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add onion and green pepper, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add stock, soy sauce, sherry, corn starch, and seasoning, and boil 1 minute.
- Stir in carrot, tofu, mushrooms, and snow peas (if you have them)
- Heat 3 minutes, and serve.
Comments: Once I used chili powder and pepper to try to simulate Chinese
chili paste. It turned out tasting very much like Mexican chili.
6/1/2003 - I substituted chicken for the tofu.
9/5/2003 - Stir fried ginger & garlic briefly; cooked onion & green pepper 1-2 minutes.
- Added chicken 1 minute after the onion and green pepper
- Stir fried until no longer pink (abt 2 minutes)
- Added remaining ingredients
5/14/2012 - Seasoned with 2 cloves of garlic and about an equal amount of fresh ginger
9/16/2015 - In addition to the listed spices, I used more than one teaspoon of
5 Spices seasoning. Gail said the ginger flavor was too strong.
2/25/2015 - I used oyster mushroom and sugar snap peas, but forget to include
9/19/2020 - I used two cans of sliced water chestnuts and some frozen multi-colored
bell pepper pieces as well as the usual. For spices, I added 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon,
nutmeg, and more than 1/4 teaspoons of black pepper. I only had 1/2 cup of
sauce and the result was a little dry.
10/19/2020 - I used a can of sliced water chestnuts, a can of baby corn,
and some frozen multi-colored
bell pepper pieces. I omitted the carrot. For spices, I added 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg to the usual, but omitted the black pepper. I made
3/4 cup of sauce. The next day I added 1/4 cup of broth with 3/4 teaspoon of
salt-substitute to the leftovers.
2/8/2021 - Nearly all the ingredients were canned: 4-oz can of mushrooms,
15-oz can of young corn, 8-oz can of water chestnuts, and even a 2 1/2-oz can of
sliced black olives. I used 3/4 cup of broth. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and black pepper were
3/22/2021 - I served this with Stir
Fried Green Beans. I used peanut oil.
I cut the onion lengthwise as in that recipe, and cooked everything on the next to highest
burner setting. It cooked much more quickly than usual. I had a can of sliced water chestnuts
and one of bean sprouts. I omitted the corn starch and other seasonings.
11/29/2021 - I followed the recipe and even had chicken stock for the sauce.
5/30/2022 - Pretty much followed the recipe, but used 2 cloves of garlic, chopped,
a 1/2 orange bell pepper, and a teaspoon each of cinnamon and nutmeg as seasoning. I
had sugar snap peas, but did not remove ends. The sugar snap peas were added with
the other vegetables, but they were not cooked long enough to be tender.
Return to the main page