Name: Spanish Garlic Soup
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 to 8 whole garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon Spanish smoked paprika or Hungarian paprika
- 4 slices crusty bread, sliced ½-inch thick
- 6 cups water
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch saffron
- Sea salt
- 4 eggs
Yield: four servings
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- In a sauté pan or shallow casserole dish, heat half the
oil over medium heat.
- Cook garlic cloves until lightly browned and soft.
- Remove garlic from pan, add bread slices and cook
until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove bread slices.
- Add remaining oil and heat paprika and
cumin in the oil until fragrant.
- Add water and saffron and bring to a boil.
- Crush garlic cloves, add to the broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add salt to taste. Because few ingredients are used in this soup,
salt is an essential ingredient and using sea salt does make a difference.
- Divide broth into individual oven proof bowls or finish the cooking
in the casserole.
- Break the eggs into the broth and add the bread slices.
- Place into the preheated oven and cook for 4 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- Serve immediately
Source: http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/food-GarlicSoup.html by Charlie Burke
Return to the main page