Name: Southwest Turkey Tenderloin Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey tenderloins, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-oz can chili beans in spicy sauce, undrained
- 1 14 1/2-oz can chili-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup prepared salsa or picante sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-in pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 3/4-in pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped red or yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- fresh cilantro (optional)
Yield: About 6 servings
- Place turkey in slow cooker and sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, and salt
- Toss to coat
- Add beans, tomatoes, salsa, bell peppers, onion, and garlic.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on LOW 5 to 6 hours.
- Adjust seasonings, if desired.
- Ladle into bowls and, if desired, garnish with cilantro
Comments: 2/27/2015 - I substituted chicken tenders for turkey,
cumin seed for ground cumin, 1 teaspoon of salt substitute for salt,
diced tomatoes for stewed. I added a 4-oz can of chopped green chilies.
I used 2 lb of meat instead of 1 1/2, and 1 1/3 cup of onion instead
of 3/4. I forgot to cut up the tenders. It tasted good.
Source: Rival Crock-Pot Slow Cooker Recipes for All Occasions,
Publications International Limited, 2006
Return to the main page