Name: Al's Sausage Sauce
- Tofurky Italian sausages (14 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium to large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 2 teaspoons garlic powder)
- 1-2 green peppers, chopped
- 4 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Optional: 1 teaspoon salt substitute
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- Place sausages in skillet in 1/2 inch of boiling water.
- Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the sausages and slice them into coin-shaped pieces.
- Brown sausages in skillet in hot oil
- Add onions and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add peppers and mushrooms, and sauté 2 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes and spices.
- Mix and simmer for 10 minutes or more.
- Serve in a bowl to be spooned over pasta (rotini or spaghetti).
Comments: 12/15/2014 - Modified to become vegetarian and low-salt
12/1/2016 - I made this with sweet Italian sausage for a holiday party.
I should have cooked the sausages first before trying to cut them.
I revised the recipe to reflect this.
I increased the amount of oregano to a tablespoon, but forgot the cayenne.
This amount was combined with a 16-oz package of rotini, and the
combination filled the Crock-pot.
9/2/2018 - I used four grilled hamburger patties as the meat, and added
them with the tomatoes and spices.
I omitted the
cayenne pepper, but included the salt substitute.
The resulting sauce was dense with meat and thin in tomatoes.
Source: Trial and error
Return to the main page