Name: Roasted Asparagus with Parmesan Cream Sauce
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place asparagus on the baking sheet and season with salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lightly toss to coat evenly.
- Roast in the preheated oven until asparagus is tender-crisp, about 10 minutes for thin asparagus, or 14 minutes for large asparagus.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and stir for 1 to 2 minutes until softened, taking care not to burn garlic.
- Sprinkle flour onto butter and cook, whisking constantly until mixture is golden and thick, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a light boil until sauce starts to thicken, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in Parmesan cheese and continue whisking until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat - sauce will further thicken.
- Place asparagus on a serving platter and drizzle with cheese sauce.
- Garnish with lemon zest and serve immediately.
Comments: 5/20/2023 - I cut the asparagus in half and substituted aluminum foil for the
I cheated on the
sauce, using 2 tablespoons of sour cream, 1 tablespoon of milk, and 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese.
Return to the main page