Name: Potato Hash
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes (about 3 large)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more as needed
- 1 small yellow onion (about 6 ounces)
- 1 small red bell pepper (about 6 ounces)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 small bunch fresh parsley
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, finely grated (about 1/4 cup), plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
Yield: 4 to 5 servings
- Dice 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Place in a medium saucepan, add 1/2 teaspoon of the kosher salt, and cover with cool water by at least 1 inch.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat as needed and simmer until just tender, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes
- Transfer them to a baking sheet and spread out into a single layer to air dry.
- Meanwhile, dice 1 small yellow onion (about 1 cup).
- Dice 1 small red bell pepper (about 1 cup).
- Finely mince 4 garlic cloves (about 1 heaping tablespoon).
- Coarsely chop fresh parsley leaves until you have 1/4 cup.
- Finely grate 1 ounce Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup), plus more for serving.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and season with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes, onion,
and bell pepper are browned in spots, about 5 minutes.
(This will depend on the size of your skillet. If the vegetables arent browning after a few minutes, increase the heat to high.)
- Add the garlic and stir until fragrant and light golden-brown, about 1 minute.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Add the parsley, Parmesan, and 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika, and stir to combine.
- Taste and season with more kosher salt and black pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle with more Parmesan before serving.
Comments: 5/30/2023 - I made a reduced recipe: 1 potato, 1/2 red bell pepper,
2 cloves garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1 tablespoon butter. I used 1/2 teaspoons
each of salt, pepper, and paprika. I did not have parsley, but added a leftover
bratwurst, cut into small pieces.
Return to the main page