Name: Neapolitan Pasta
- 12 oz. fusilli (or rotini) pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup almonds, flaked
- 1/4 cup pitted olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Yield: 6 to 7 servings
- Cook the pasta al dente according to the package directions
- Heat oil in a large skillet and fry the onion for 2 minutes on medium-high heat
- Add the currents and capers, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and press them flat with the back of a wooden spoon to release juices.
- Cover sauce and simmer for 8 minutes on low heat.
- Place almonds on a plate and microwave at 1 minute intervals, stirring in between, until golden.
- Add olives and 2 tablespoons parsley to sauce.
- Season with salt (in moderation) and pepper.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce, and garnish with the almonds and the remaining parsley.
Comments: Can substitute a 14-oz can petite diced tomatoes
for the cherry tomatoes.
2/12/2018 - I substituted a 14.5-oz can of diced tomatoes for the cherry tomatoes and used 1
teaspoon of black pepper for seasoning. The almonds were golden after 4 1-minute
microwavings. The currants gave it a very sweet flavor.
Return to the main page