Name: Mushroom Steak Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Four 4-ounce packages mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Fresh thyme leaves, for garnish, optional
Yield: sauce for 6 steaks
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic and shallots.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and simmer until the sauce is thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme, salt and pepper.
Comments: This sauce can be made ahead and rewarmed just before serving.
11/5/2013 - Substituted plain yogurt for the heavy cream, dropped
the salt and shallot, and only used about 4 to 6 ounces of mushrooms
Return to the main page