Name: Mushroom Casserole
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) brown mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 1 large onion, well chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- a bit of fresh tarragon, chopped
Yield: Serves about 8.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF degrees.
- Rub a medium-large baking dish (9x13 or slightly smaller)
with a bit of olive oil or butter and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the mushrooms
in a glug of olive oil.
- Stir every minute or so until the mushrooms have released their liquid and have browned a bit.
- Add the onions and cook for another 4 or 5 minutes or until they are translucent.
- Stir in the garlic, cook for another minute, and remove from heat.
- Add the rice to the skillet and stir until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream, and salt.
- Combine the rice mixture and cottage cheese mixture in a large bowl,
stir until well combined, and then pour into your prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 2/3 of the Parmesan cheese, cover with foil, and place in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 20 or 30 minutes until hot throughout
and golden along the edges.
- Sprinkle with the chopped tarragon and the remaining Parmesan, and enjoy.
Comments: 11/10/2013 - I substituted yogurt for the sour cream. It filled
our largest casserole dish. It took 2 hours 10 minutes to prepare.
Gail liked it.
11/7/2017 - I reduced the rice to 1 3/4 cups, increased the eggs to 3, and used
1/2 teaspoon of slat substitute. It fit in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
I baked for 20 minutes after the foil was removed.
Gail called it comfort food. I thought it was somewhat salty.
Return to the main page