Name: Kauai Chicken
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken (3 lbs), skinned and cut into pieces
Yield: 4 servings
- Combine soy sauce, sugars, hoisin sauce and garlic salt in a small bowl and
- Arrange chicken pieces in a 7 by 11 inch baking dish, with the
meaty portions to the outside
- Pour the soy mixture evenly over the chicken.
- Let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Pour off and reserve the marinade
- Cover chicken with wax paper
- Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 8 minutes
- Turn the chicken over and brush with the reserved marinade
- Microwave, covered, on HIGH for 8 to 9 minutes, or until the
meat near the bone is no longer pink when slashed
- Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes before serving
Comments: 9/27/2014 - I used chicken thigh filets, which I skinned
but they had bones in them. Gail said she liked it.
2/29/2016 - I used homemade
hoisin sauce because the
bottles in the store were much larger than I would use in a reasonable
time. I served it with steamed broccoli and
2/5/2017 - This meal was almost identical to last year's. However, I mistakenly
used a metal baking dish in the microwave. Nothing caught fire!
Source: Sunset Microwave Cook Book, Lane Publishing Co., 1981, page 36
Return to the main page