Name: Kale, Chickpeas, and Sausage with Oven-Baked Egg
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 spicy fresh sausage, about 3 to 4 ounces, sliced
- 1/2 bunch lacinato (or dinosaur) kale, about 2 ounces after stalk is stripped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one 15.5-ounce can, drained)
- Hot sauce, such as harissa, optional
- 2 large eggs
Yield: 2 servings
- Sauté the onion in the olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Add the sausage and continue cooking until the sausage begins to brown.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF or turn on your toaster oven to its toast setting.
- Add the kale. If the kale isn't wet, add a splash of water to the pan.
- Cook until the kale is wilted.
- Add the chickpeas and heat through.
- Scoop the mixture into oven-proof dishes.
- Add the hot sauce, if using.
- Crack the eggs and slide on top of the chickpeas.
- Put into the oven.
- Bake for about 7 minutes, checking at the 5-minute mark,
or until the white is set but the yolk is still runny.
Covering the dish may help cook the eggs.
- Serve with some fresh, crusty bread to mop up the yolk, and enjoy!
Comments: 10/22/2018 - I experimented with this, but did not follow exactly.
I doubled the recipe, but used a cup of cooked rice in place of the second can of
garbanzo beans and I substituted spinach for kale.
The sausage was, however, Kale & Fontina Chicken Sausage.
The eggs took over 10 minutes to cook at 400ºF
Return to the main page