Name: Kake Brod (Swedish Flat Bread)
- 1 1/4 ounces yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/3 cups warm milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 -5 cups unbleached white flour
Yield: 16 servings
- Sprinkle yeast on warm water.
- Add honey and set aside.
- In large bowl, mix warm milk, salt, butter and 2 cups of flour.
- Beat with mixer or wooden spoon until smooth.
- Gradually add rest of flour.
- Turn onto floured board and knead until all the flour is used and dough is not sticky.
- Invert bowl over dough and let rest 10 minutes.
- Knead 8 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Return dough to bowl and let rise about 1 hour.
- Punch down and divide in 2 parts.
- Butter 2 round pizza pans or cookie sheets.
- Roll dough to fit pans.
- Place in pans and press the edges with fingers to make it fit the pan.
- Prick all over with a fork.
- Cover with damp cloth and let rise until doubled in thickness, about 30 minutes.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Butter the top generously with melted butter as soon as it is removed from the oven.
- Cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.
Comments: 2/14/2014 - It took about three hours from start to finish,
much of which was just waiting. I used 4 cups of flour.
The recipe does not say when to add the yeast
mixture; I added it after all the flour. It took more than 15 minutes to get
a golden brown.
Whole wheat flat bread (from a recipe card by Gail from dictation by Helen Holm)
Only let raise once
Take out with rolling pin like pie crust (to about 1 inch?)
Poke with fork holes
1/2 - 3/4 hour in oven
Jenny didn't put salt in it
Return to the main page