Name: Indian-Style Stir-Fried Spiced Carrots
- 1 tablespoon oil (preferably coconut oil but any vegetable oil is okay)
- 1 teaspoon whole yellow mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 small red onion sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 small green chilies silt lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 cups carrots, peeled, split lengthwise, and cut on a bias into 1/4-inch slices
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut
Yield: 2 servings
- Heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering in a heavy bottomed lidded saucepan.
- Reduce heat to medium, add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Stand back and stir as they splutter and release their fragrance, about 1 minute.
- Add the onions and chilies and stir fry until onions are softened but not brown, about 2 minutes.
- In quick succession add turmeric and chili powder and let them color the oil, stirring vigorously so as not to burn the spices, about 30 seconds.
- Add the carrots and salt and stir until combined into the oil and onion paste.
- Add water and close with lid.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender and water has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coconut and serve warm as a side dish or cool as a salad.
Comments: 12/18/2017 - Substitutes: 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard for the mustard seeds,
1 tablespoon curry powder for the curry leaves, and yellow onion for the red onion.
I omitted the green chillies and used 4 tablespoons of water. Four carrots made 2 cups.
We liked the result.
Return to the main page