Name: Homemade Mac and Cheese
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 pinch paprika
Yield: 8 servings
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat.
- Stir in enough flour to make a roux.
- Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly.
- Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick.
- Put macaroni in large casserole dish, pour sauce over macaroni, and stir well.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add bread crumbs and brown.
- Spread over the macaroni and cheese.
- Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake at 350º F (175º C) for 30 minutes.
Comments: 7/1/2020 I used more grated Cheddar cheese and no Parmesan.
I added a grated onion to the mix before baking it; I should have cooked the onion
first. The bread crumbs were Panko, and I think their flavor was strong.
I topped it off with 1/2 chopped tomato.
Return to the main page