Name: Green Beans with Onion Paste
- 1 lb green beans, sliced into 1/4 to 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Yield: 4 servings
- Mix onion, garlic, ginger, tomato and turmeric.
- Fry mixture in vegetable oil for 5 minutes at medium heat, adding water when
necessary to avoid sticking in the pan
- Add coriander & cumin, and fry for another 5 minutes, adding water when needed
- Add beans to the mixture and fry for 5 minutes, adding water when necessary
- Add the lime juice and turn the burner down to low
- Cover and cook until the beans are tender, at least 25 minutes, as much as
Comments: 5/3/2012 - This was time-consuming. Gail liked it.
1/7/2015 - The chopping took about 45 minutes before any cooking could start.
The beans were tender after 25 minutes.
3/18/2017 - Again, the beans were tender after 25 minutes.
5/12/2019 - I substituted 1/2 teaspoon of powdered ginger for the
fresh ginger. The cooking time - 25 minutes for the last step - was good.
Source: Greatly simplified version of a recipe from page 150 of An Invitation
to Indian Cooking by Madhur Jaffrey
Return to the main page