Name: Garlic Shrimp in Coconut Milk, Tomatoes and Cilantro
- 1 ½ lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (weight after peeled)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- ½ cup cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt (to taste)
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can light coconut milk (50% less fat)
- ½ lime, squeezed
Yield: 4 servings
- In a medium pot, heat oil on low.
- Add red peppers and sauté until soft (about 4 minutes).
- Add scallion whites, ¼ cup cilantro, red pepper flakes and garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk and salt to taste, cover and simmer on
low about 10 minutes to let the flavors blend together and to thicken the sauce.
- Add shrimp and cook 5 minutes.
- Add lime juice.
- To serve, divide equally among 4 bowls and top with scallions and cilantro.
Comments: Serve with a little brown basmati rice to soak up the broth.
5/18/2013 - The sauce never appeared to thicken.
Return to the main page