Name: Garlic Shrimp in Coconut Milk, Tomatoes and Cilantro
- 1 1/2 lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (weight after peeled)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can light coconut milk (50% less fat)
- 1/2 lime, squeezed
Yield: 4 servings
- In a medium pot, heat oil on low.
- Add red peppers and sauté until soft (about 4 minutes).
- Add scallion whites, ¼ cup cilantro, red pepper flakes and garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk and salt to taste, cover and simmer on
low about 10 minutes to let the flavors blend together and to thicken the sauce.
- Add shrimp and cook 5 minutes.
- Add lime juice.
- To serve, divide equally among 4 bowls and top with scallions and cilantro.
Comments: Serve with a little brown basmati rice to soak up the broth.
5/18/2013 - The sauce never appeared to thicken.
1/25/2020 - Cool was not hot enough. After I put the
shrimp in, I turned the burner up to 6. I seasoned it with 1/2 teaspoon
of salt substitute, but no crushed red pepper flakes. Gail added a
sprinkling of cayenne pepper, and I sprinkled some crushed red pepper flakes.
We enjoyed the soup.
8/26/2021 - Here are the deviations from the recipe:
1 pound of shrimp, 1/2 red bell pepper,
4 scallions, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, no salt, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes,
and 1 teaspoon of lime juice. We liked it.
Return to the main page