Name: Fettuccine with Lemon, Hot Peppers and Pecorino Romano
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 jalapenos, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced lengthwise
- Zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh Fettuccine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
Yield: Feeds four people
- Bring 6 quarts water to a boil in a large pot and season with salt.
- Meanwhile, in a 10- to 12-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat until almost smoking.
- Add onion and red pepper flakes and sauté until translucent, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add jalapenos; sauté for 1 minute.
- Add zest and juice, bring to a boil, and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove sauce from heat, stir in butter, and season with salt and pepper.
- Drop pasta into boiling water and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain.
- Toss hot pasta into pan with lemon mixture and return to medium heat.
- Stir together gently.
- Add pecorino and toss quickly.
- Transfer to a warmed serving platter and serve immediately.
Return to the main page