Name: Egg Fried Rice
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola, divided
- 1 cup diced red onion (about 1 small onion)
- 1 1/3 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 3 stalks of scallions, sliced
- 4 cups cooked brown jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (optional)
Yield: 4 servings
- Crack 3 eggs into a small bowl and beat them together.
- Beat the last egg in a separate bowl.
- Heat a large sauté pan with 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add the 3 beaten eggs and scramble them for about a minute.
- Transfer the eggs to a dish and turn off the heat.
- Wipe off the pan or wok with a kitchen towel.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil in the pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook them for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the mixed vegetables and scallions and cook for another minute. Save some of the scallions (the dark green part) for garnish.
- Add the cooked rice into the pan or wok and cook for a few minutes until the rice is heated through. Break them apart any large clumps of rice.
- Pour the remaining beaten egg over the rice and stir to coat the rice with the egg.
- Cook for another minute.
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil (if using) and stir to distribute the sauces.
- Add the scrambled eggs and stir to mix again.
- Top with the scallion garnish and serve immediately.
Comments: 1/17/2019 - I only used 1.5 cups of pre-cooked white rice.
I cooked the rice and mid-day and let it dry out during the afternoon. I used
a yellow onion instead of a red onion. It fed us with two servings each.
Return to the main page