Name: Delaware Cry-Babies
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup boiling decaf coffee
Yield: 30 to 50 cookies
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F
- Sift flour, salt and spices in a medium mixing bowl.
- Using a hand-held electric mixer, "cream" oil and brown sugar together.
- Add eggs and molasses and beat until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine baking soda and boiling water, stirring until baking soda is dissolved.
- Fold dry ingredients into sugar-molasses mixture, alternating with baking soda mixture.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until puffy and firm to touch. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle with more cinnamon, if desired
Comments: 12/12/2011. I combined two recipes. The web recipe called for
more liquid - a full cup boiling water - and less flour - 4 cups. The
resulting batter was very liquid, and the cookies looked like pancakes!
I also used white sugar because I did not have brown sugar.
I used a tablespoon for dropping the batter on the cookie sheet.
This is a soft cookie, almost like cake.
Source: Mostly from http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/recipes/recipe/2011/05/delaware-cry-babies/168793/1
but use of coffee instead of plain water from firstname.lastname@example.org, Dec 16, 1997
Return to the main page