Name: Date Bars
- Date Filling
- 3 cups chopped pitted dates (1 lb)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Yield: 36 bars
- In 2-quart saucepan, cook Filling ingredients over low heat about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cool 5 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Grease bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with shortening.
- In large bowl, stir brown sugar and butter until well mixed.
- Stir in flour, oats, baking soda and salt until crumbly.
- Press half of the crumb mixture evenly in bottom of pan.
- Spread with filling.
- Top with remaining crumb mixture and press lightly.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan on cooling rack.
- Cut into 6 rows by 6 rows while warm.
Comments: 7/3/2020 - Chopping the dates took a little over 1/2 hour.
They might not have had to chopped so finely.
Half the crust mixture barely covered the bottom of the 9x13-inch pan, and it
did not cover all the date filling. I cut it into 4 by 6 rows.
It tasted okay.
11/1/2020 - I made 2/3 of the recipe.
It filled an 8x8-inch pan nicely.
I cut it into 3 by 4 rows. The result is a little crumbly,
but tastes fine.
Return to the main page