Name: Copper Pennies
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 8-oz can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
Yield: 8 servings
- Cover the carrots with water in a medium pot.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium high, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally
- Stir in the bell pepper and onion.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes
- Drain the vegetables well in a colander.
- In the same pot, stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through and well combined, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the vegetables, tossing to coat.
- Serve warm or serve cold as a salad.
Comments: 11/17/2020 - I made a half recipe. I substituted half a crushed
tomato for the tomato sauce and red wine vinegar for the apple cider version.
It did not look like the picture but tasted okay.
Source: 2020 Healthy Recipes for the Heart cookbook from the American Heart Association.
Return to the main page