Name: Chicken & Black Bean Casserole
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni or rotini
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 to 4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded or cut in small pieces
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 cup grated Mexican blend or other cheese
Yield: Serves 4 to 6.
- Cook macaroni in boiling water as package directs. Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, melt butter.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, until flour mixture is well blended and bubbly.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth.
- Stir in cheese until melted and smooth.
- Add pepper to taste
- Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Add the chicken and beans, and cook for about 1 minute longer.
- Combine the sauce with cooked and drained macaroni.
- Pour into a 2-quart casserole, top with grated cheese, and bake uncovered
at 350º for about 30 minutes, until bubbly and browned.
- Serve with salsa.
Comments: 5/7/2011 - Did not have the cheese topping. Looks dingy, could have used a
more colorful ingredient. One recipe called for a teaspoon of fresh parsley to be
mixed in before baking.
3/4/2013 - Washed and rinsed the black beans several times, topped with grated cheese and garnished with some
cherry tomatoes 5 minutes before done baking. Looked fine.
1/08/2015 - Baking at 375º instead of 350º due to cooking acorn squash in parallel was fine.
Source: improved based on http://southernfood.about.com/od/chickencasseroles/r/bl60414a.htm
Return to the main page