Name: Cheesy Bean Casserole
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 15-oz cans chile-hot kidney beans, drained
- 2 14 1/2-oz cans no-salt-added whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
Yield: Serves 4
- Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high burner
- Saute onion until tender
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, garlic and pepper
- Cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring well
- Spoon mixture into 8-inch square baking dish
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Bake uncovered at 400ºF 5 minutes, or until cheese melts
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Comments: Serve with cornbread.
1/17/2018 - This is basically chili. I used a can of dark red kidney beans, a can of
black beans, two cans of low-salt diced tomatoes, and a can of chopped green chiles.
I do not know what "chile-hot kidney beans" are, so I added a tablespoon of
ground cumin and a tablespoon of chili powder. I put it in the oven in a
casserole dish, not a baking dish. We got maybe 6 servings.
Source: Cooking Light: 5 Ingredient, 15 Minute Cookbook, Oxmoor House, 2004, page 54.
Return to the main page