Name: Calves Liver with Wine Sauce
- 1 lb of calves liver
- 3 tbs margarine
- 1 small onion, halved and studded with 4-5 whole cloves
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 1 tbs of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup red wine
Yield: 4 servings
- Melt the margarine in a skillet and quickly saute the liver
for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove liver from pan.
- Add the onion halves, beef stock, bay leaf,
vinegar and wine to to the pan.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce has been
reduced by half and is slightly thickened.
- Remove the bay leaf and onions.
- Add the cooked liver to the sauce and quickly heat through.
- Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
Comments: 11/20/2011 - Used the sauce to augment previously cooked
liver (Lamb Liver in Mint-Garlic Marinade). Sliced the onions thin and
sliced mushrooms too, and sauted them in the margarine
10/27/2014 - Used beef bouillon in place of beef stock, 1/4 teaspoon of
ground cloves for the whole cloves, and beef liver.
The Original Philadelphia Neighborhood Cookbook, page 77
Return to the main page