Name: Calabacitas Con Queso (Zucchini with Cheese)
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds Monterey Jack cheese, cubed
Yield: 6 servings
- In a saucepan with a lid, combine zucchini, corn, onion, green pepper, tomato, and vegetable oil.
- Cover, and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Gently stir in the sugar
- Add cheese on top, but do not stir.
- Cover, and continue cooking until cheese is melted.
- Stir, and add remaining cheese
- Cover, and continue cooking until melted.
- Serve warm.
Comments: 6/26/2016 - Substituted broccoli for the zucchini
1/2/2018 - I used 2 large zucchini (1.25 lbs), half a bag of frozen corn warmed in
the microwave, an orange bell pepper, and 1 lb of Monterey Jack cheese.
The recipe does not say how much cheese in the first addition and how much
remaining. I put most in the first part and stirred. The result was very
goo-y. I put salsa on mine and ate it with tortillas.
Return to the main page