Name: Black Beans and Rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 15.5-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
Yield: about 6 servings
- Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, pepper and garlic and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the spices and black beans.
Comments: 3/10/2018 - I substituted chicken broth for the vegetable broth,
and did not add cayenne pepper. I topped it with chopped cilantro.
Return to the main page