Name: Basic White Sauce (Cream Sauce or Bechamel)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter and then blend in the flour
- Remove the pan from the heat (or place it over hot water)
- Slowly add the milk, blending it in until smooth.
- Return to the heat and cook slowly, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and smooth,
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper,
Comments: For a thicker sauce, use 3 or 4 tablespoons of flour.
11/3/2016 - I used 3 tablespoons of flour and ground pepper. I spooned the sauce on
Source: The James Beard Cookbook, Newly Revised, page 399
Return to the main page