Name: Balsamic Glazed Lamb Liver
- 1 pound lamb liver, fresh or frozen
- 1 pound onions
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint, or 1 teaspoon dried (substitute rosemary if preferred)
- salt and pepper
Yield: 4 servings
- Slice onions thinly and separate into rings.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter in 12" skillet.
- Add onions, stir to coat with oil and salt lightly.
Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally,
until completely soft and light golden brown - about 20 minutes.
- While the onions cook, slice and trim liver, if butcher hasn't done so.
(If slicing whole liver, it's easier if the liver is semi-frozen: put in
freezer for 15 minutes or so, then slice about 1/3" thick).
- Lightly salt and pepper the liver.
- Chop mint (or rosemary).
- Remove carmelized onions from skillet to a warm platter.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil to pan and raise heat to medium high.
- When hot, add liver and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir to turn and cook for another minute or two, until just pink inside.
- Spoon out of skillet onto the onions.
- Pour vinegar into hot skillet and add chopped mint.
- Cook, stirring, until vinegar is thick and syrup-like.
- Spoon over meat and onions and serve immediately.
Comments: Prep time 10 minutes and cook time 30 minutes.
Return to the main page